Both butterflies and moths with many similarities can confuse enthusiasts. Luckily in most cases, it is easy to distinguish if observed carefully.
The following are some of the differences between butterflies and moths. But we should bear in mind the these are general observations and there are EXCEPTIONS
- Butterflies have clubbed antennae whereas moths have feathery ones
- Moths generally have stout and hairy abdomen whereas butterflies have slender and smooth bodies
- Moths have silky cocoons – butterflies have smooth chrysalis
- Moths are predominantly nocturnal and butterflies are diurnal
- Moths usually spread out wings while resting while butterflies fold them
- In general moths are dull coloured whereas butterflies have vibrant colouration