Butterflies add colour and a freshness to nature. But, beyond that they also form a very important element of our environment and biodiversity.
- Butterflies play a significant part in plant pollination
- Caterpillars, by consuming leaves may help to keep some plant species from growing at an unsustainable pace
- They are a useful ‘barometer’ to measure the health of the ecosystem
- Butterflies form a part of the food chain
- They add aesthetic value
- They have an educational value including aspects like lifecyles
- They provide pleasure to butterfly watchers and encourage visits to nature reserves and other habitats which may be vulnerable